Thursday, January 28, 2010

Irresistible Revolution

So maybe I am a few years behind the Christian literature (I think it was published in 2001) but gosh…I just finished reading Irrestistible Revolution and I simply can’t stop thinking about it and decided to share. It was hard and made me stop and think a lot about how I am living and where and how we will live once our Latin American journey is over. Shane Claiborne talks about our necessity, as Christians, for community and relates this to the old church. They lived together, amongst the poor, in one community. In the early church, people would fast until there was enough food for everyone to eat together. To save food or stuff yourself while other are hungry is like a silent murder. “A biological father builds a mansion while his kids go hungry-he would be institutionalized or jailed. How much more preposterous should this be in our family or rebirth in which we’ve been given new eyes to see others as brothers and sisters,” says Claiborne (refer to 2 Corinthians 5:16-21). Jesus, of course, was the prime example of living within the poor-Jesus was poor! He didn’t have a house or a place to lay his head every night. He didn’t have a 9-5 job with good benefits…so why do we worry so much about this? We were never promised to live comfortably or safely when living for the Lord in terms of materials-but living our lives for the Kingdom is worth it!

Why in the “God blessed America” ideal are we taught to save our money and be wise in which stock option we choose? Who knows what tomorrow might bring right-this is something I am struggling with big time as far as what to invest prayerfully verses giving everything away and completely trusting the Lord for my needs). Jesus clearly states in Matthew 6, “Therefore I tell you¸do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

Why then am I so compelled to save? For my own comfort, indulgence, etc-to buy another pair of earrings because I am bored with the last ones I have? To be able to go out to that nice restaurant with my friends and have fellowship this weekend? Go on that nice vacation (we work hard right so we inheritanly deserve it)? To retire early and/or comfortably?

America in its prosperity and wealth is so lonely! We don’t know our neighbors, are too busy to serve in our communities, but think we have the “American dream.” I urge you to be CRAZY…have a neighborhood block party, start a community garden, serve meal at the homeless shelter, and if you have kids do it with them too! And please know, I am preaching to myself too when I say these things!

He also made me stop and think about war which I won’t go much into but…he traveled to Iraq in the midst of America bombing the country as a peace-making missionary. He went to hospitals and held babies with pieces of metal throughout their bodies from the bombs, went to birthday parties for Iraqi children while bombs were going off miles away, and went to Bible studies and church services to pray over the war. The parents of these children asked him, “What did we do to your country?” and stated, “If this is democracy we do not want it!” We are training people to fight and kill other people outside of our borders who cry, run, and smile the exact same way we do and then arrest murders while inside our border when they kill one of our citizens. Are we saying our lives as Americans are more important than our brothers and sisters in other parts of the world?

Anyways, I urge you to pick this book up. It’s a pretty easy read but definetly thought provoking and a search for the authentic church. Joe and I are struggling on how to incorportate this into our lives and community and what this will look like on a day-to-day basis. We’ve had the blessing to live among the poor but now have a responsibility from this knowledge. No actions would be a sin as well as denying what God has revealed to us here. This book has helped in identifying examples of how to this out and how to live in community, simply, and lovingly.

Even if you think some of Shane Claiborne's ideas are a little "out there" but WELL WORTH your thoughts and time.

Mother Teressa-“We can do not great things, only small things with great love.”

Miss you guys!
Julie (and Joe)

6 comments:

frank said...

About 4 years ago, I had a pretty safe and normal Christian life and then I picked that book up having no knowledge of it at all - and it screwed everything up. :)

It's a book that I try to model my walk after. It completely changed my thinking. I need to re-read it because I fear that much of it has left my walk today. Thanks for the reminder!

Joe and Julie said...

I think you guys are doing a pretty dang good job at living among the poor! Oh-we have exciting news for you coming soon!!!
"Yea right! Whose dresses are those?"

Matt said...

That book changed my whole outlook on this thing we call Christianity. I had been struggling with the American Dream thing for sometime and IR came along and blew the top off of a lot things for me. It was one of the most challenging, convicting, and rewarding books I have ever read. There is so much truth to what he writes and I believe it is because God has shown him His truths and is using Shane's life and gift of communication as a wake up call for the American Church. We have a distinct responsibility as a part of the richest nation in the history of the world to use what God has given us to care for our brothers and sisters here and far away. You might also pick up Rob Bell's "Jesus Wants to Save Christians" Its a great companion to Shane's IR. Thanks from the bottom of my heart for what you all are doing. Thank you for using what God has blessed you with as a blessing to others. May you feel His presence, know His love, and may His hand of peace walk with you. May the church be unified in the saving grace of Jesus as we wrestle with the questions and strive to be the answer.

Love from Chattanooga,
Matt, Lindsay, Ty, and Eli

Anonymous said...

You may be surprised that I check your blog from time to time, but after seeing you both at Christmas, I wanted to hear more about what you are doing! So, Julie- I read that book while I was in Belfast, and it was (and is) definitely a book that both challenged and inspired me. I also enjoyed reading all of your reflections on the book, Julie. Wanna start a book club when you return?? :) Take care- you two!
Heather Lantz

Joe and Julie said...

Thanks Matt for your encouragment and challenge! I will for sure pick up Rob Bell's book when we get home. Thanks for following and sharing!
Julie

Joe and Julie said...

Hey there Hather! Glad you are following the blog from time to time. I would love to start a book club with you...does this mean you are moving to Cville?
Julie